actKM – Analysing a Public Sector Knowledge Management Community of Practice
Abstract: ActKM is a Community of Practice for people interested in public sector Knowledge Management. Having begun in 1998, the community now numbers more than 550 members and is nurtured and maintained predominantly, but not exclusively, online. Utilising the Cynefin sense-making framework (Snowden, 2002a), this chapter analyses the ActKM community and provides a practical account of its history, purpose, guiding principles, goals, characteristics and dynamics. The chapter concludes with a summary of the lessons learned from the ActKM experience that others might find useful in cultivating a vibrant Community of Practice of this type.
Callahan S.D.: Cultivating a Public Sector Knowledge Management Community of Practice. In: Hildreth, P. M.; Kimble, C. (Eds.): Knowledge Networks: Innovation Through Communities of Practice’. Idea Group: Hershey PA, 2004: 267-281
© IGI Global
Full text from author
- Callahan, Shawn D.: Building a Public Sector CoP. Knowledge Management, 6, no. 1 (2002): 33-35 | Full text from author », actKM »
- Callahan S. D., Milne P.: ActKM: Variety From A Complexity Perspective. In: Morgan, K. et al. (Eds.): Human Perspectives in the Internet Society: Culture, Psychology and Gender. WIT Press (WIT Transactions on Information and Communication Technologies, Volume 31), 2004: 377-386 | Full text from publisher », author »
- Callahan, S. and Milne, P.: Communities of practice from a complexity perspective. Paper presented at KM Australia 2004, Darling Harbour, Sydney, 23-24 August.
- Patric Lambe: Mapping the Culture of an Online Community: Archetypes and Their Attributes derived by ACT-KM Members at the ACT-KM Conference 13-14 October 2004. Green Chameleon, 2005 | Full text from author », actKM » (membership req.)
- Milne, P.; Callahan, D.: ActKM: the story of a community. Journal of Knowledge Management, VOL. 10 NO. 1 2006, pp. 108-118 | Purchase »
- Callahan, D.; Milne, P.: ActKM: Story of a Community. Presentation at the actKM 2004 Conference: Working in the Knowledge organisation, 13-14 October 2004, Canberra, ACT, Australia | Full text »
Tags: actKM Forum discussion list, annual conference, archetypes, Australian Capital Territory Knowledge Management Forum (actKM Forum), communities of practice, community roles, core team, discussion forum, face-to-face meeting, IBM Cynefin Centre for Organisational Complexity, informal meeting