No warranty for correctness & completeness!
This site will be updated with no ads and linked to its KMedu opportunities
as soon as the provider subscribes to this service!
(sample pages: training, university, community, conference)
The Knowledge and Space Symposium deals with the generation, diffusion and application of knowledge under special consideration of the role of the spatial context and the spatial dimension of knowledge-disparities. The topic Knowledge and Space covers various interrelated research questions, which are of great political and economical relevance to society.
Institutions have increasingly become recognized as important conditions for economic, organizational and social development. Since institutions tend to vary across historical time and geographical space and since they are hard to imitate or transmit to other locations, understanding the inherent processes of social institutions poses an interesting challenge for both institutional research and geography. This symposium seeks to facilitate an interdisciplinary dialogue between experts from different fields in the social sciences. Taking into account the different understandings of the term ‘institutions’, from formal and informal rules to organizations to stable interaction patterns and cultural blueprints, the symposium addresses current research challenges recurring around the questions of how exactly “institutions matter”:
- How do institutions persist and change, and how can we understand institutional change in the process?
- How can we account for regional variations of institutions and their outcomes?
- Can we qualify ‘good institutions’ and if so, how?
How can institutional work bridge the paradox of embedded agency and build new institutions?
- How do institutions matter for the innovative capacity and knowledge creation of a region?
(POSTPONED) Knowledge and Space No. 19, 10.-12. June 2020, Heidelberg, Germany
Conference Theme: Knowledge and Technology: Spatial Relations in a Digital Age
- Conference Sessions: TBA
Knowledge and Space No. 18, 26.-28. June 2019, Heidelberg, Germany
Conference Theme: Professions and Proficiency: The Rise and Demise of Knowledge
- Conference Sessions: Professions in Action; Transformation of Intangibles, Knowledge and Professions; Proficiency, Professionalization and Learning
Knowledge and Space No. 17, 20.-23. June 2018, Heidelberg, Germany
Conference Theme: Knowledge and Civil Society
- Conference Sessions: Civil Society and Societal Transformation; Civil Society, Agenda-Setting, and Public Discourse; Civil Society, Philanthropy, and Educational Landscapes; Geographies of Knowledge and Civil Society
Knowledge and Space No. 16, 13.-16. September 2017, Heidelberg, Germany
Conference Theme: The Role of Socio-Environmental Settings for Learning and Educational Attainment
- Conference Sessions: n.a.
Knowledge and Space No. 15, 28. June-01. July 2017, Heidelberg, Germany
Conference Theme: Knowledge for Governance
- Conference Sessions: The Reflexive Nature of Knowledge and Governance; The Role of Localized Knowledge for Governance; Governance, Politics and the Region; Risk Governance; Organizing and Governing Innovation; Knowledge, Governance and Democracy
Knowledge and Space No. 14, 14.-17. September 2016, Heidelberg, Germany
Conference Theme: Geographies of Schooling: Ideologies, Institutions and Spatial Planning
- Conference Sessions: Regional and Local Governance of Schooling; The Smaller the Better? Small Schools vs. Large Schools Within Their Local Systems; Schools in and for Society; School Systems in a Spatial and Historical Perspective; The (Geo-)Politics of Schooling
Knowledge and Space No. 13, 09.-12. September 2015, Heidelberg, Germany
Conference Theme: Knowledge and Institutions
- Conference Sessions: Institutions, Knowledge and the Regional Economy; Institutions, Conventions and Societal Outcomes; Emergence, Diffusion and Translation of Institutions; Institutions and Institutional Change; Institutional Change and Maintenance; Institutions of Entrepreneurship and Cooperation
Knowledge and Space No. 12, 03.-06. September 2014, Heidelberg, Germany
Conference Theme: Geographies of the University
- Conference Sessions: Universities and Regional Economies; Universities in Their Local Environments; Universities in Medieval Times; Universities and their Networks; University and the City; Universities and the Future
Knowledge and Space No. 11, 12.-15. June 2013, Heidelberg, Germany
Conference Theme: Topographies and Topologies of Knowledge
- Conference Sessions: Network Evolution and Technology; Knowledge Networks and Regional Clusters; Creativity and Learning in and between Places; Networks of Interpersonal Opportunities; Institutions and Social Change; Networks, Innovation and Careers
Knowledge and Space No. 10, 15.-18. September 2010, Heidelberg, Germany
Conference Theme: Spatial Mobility of Knowledge
- Conference Sessions: Cities and states; Scholarly networks; Knowledge transfer; Global linkages; Knowledge flows; Academic mobility
Knowledge and Space No. 9, 16.-19. June 2010, Heidelberg, Germany
Conference Theme: Knowledge and Action
- Conference Sessions: Basic Considerations on Knowledge & Action; From Cognition to Action; The Psychology of Knowledge & Action; Mobility, Knowledge & Action; The Spatial Dimension of Knowledge & Action
Knowledge and Space No. 8, 07.-10. October 2009, Heidelberg, Germany
Conference Theme: Ethnic and Cultural Dimensions of Knowledge
- Conference Sessions: Local Cultural Knowledge; Ethnic Aspects of Education; Culture and Identity; Indigenous Knowledge: Loss and Importance; Knowledge, Policies and Behaviour; Indigenous Knowledge and Environment
Knowledge and Space No. 7, 17.-20. June 2009, Heidelberg, Germany
Conference Theme: Knowledge and Power
- Conference Sessions: Knowledge and Power: Theoretical Considerations; Politics and Space; The Power of Religion; The Enforcement of Capitalism; To Communicate and Publish: A Basis of Power
Knowledge and Space No. 6, 17.-20. September 2008, Heidelberg, Germany
Conference Theme: Learning Organizations
- Conference Sessions: Factors of Organizational Learning; The Crucial Impact of Arts; Knowledge Transfers and Innovations; Creating Organizational Learning; The Role of Locations and Environments; Theories and Management of Organizational Learning
Knowledge and Space No. 5, 25.-28. June 2008, Heidelberg, Germany
Conference Theme: Knowledge and Economy
- Conference Sessions: Geographies of Knowledge Innovation; Global Knowledge Transfer; Economy, Knowledge, and Governance; The Dynamics of Knowledge Production; Commodification and Scientific Research
Knowledge and Space No. 4, 19.-22. September 2007, Heidelberg, Germany
Conference Theme: Cultural Memories
- Conference Sessions: Contested Histories – Case Studies from Europe; Societies in Transition; The Anthropological Perspective – Case Studies from Australasia; Memory as a Social Practice; Memory, Politics & Power – (Post-)colonial Case Studies
Knowledge and Space No. 3, 27.-30. June 2007, Heidelberg, Germany
Conference Theme: Geographies of Science
- Conference Sessions: Settings and Debates; Geographies of Science; Knowledge Production and Academic Disciplines; Networks of science; Experiments and the Field
Knowledge and Space No. 2, 06.-09. September 2006, Heidelberg, Germany
Conference Theme: Milieus of Creativity
- Conference Sessions: Creativity & Problem Solving – A Clarification of Concepts; Creativity in Context; Creativity & Economics
Knowledge and Space No. 1, 19.-22. April 2006, Heidelberg, Germany
Conference Theme: Clashes of Knowledge
- Conference Sessions: Borders and Territories of Knowledge; Regime Changes of Knowledge Systems; Creativity & Economics