The Knowledge Management Practitioners’ Group (KMPG) was founded in 2000 in Johannesburg South Africa and has since spread globally. The aim of the group is to share knowledge and experience of how practical knowledge sharing and management can be successful in organisations. The group is non profit and open to everyone who wishes to share and learn. Their mission is to continuously improve the skills of knowledge managers, and to elevate the profile of knowledge management as a profession globally. Since the roots are African, it focuses on knowledge sharing on the African continent.
The Knowledge Management Practitioners Group (KMPG or KM Practioners) offers the following Knowledge Management education and training opportunities:
- Johannesburg Chapter
October 2007: Demonstration of IBM Intranet, Collaborative Tools, Knowledge repositories, Subject Matter Expertise location and Communities, How to establish, nurture and sustain communities
June 2008: Knowledge Management in Practice for Project Management
Feb 2010: Case Study on Capturing Retired Experts’ Knowledge conducted at Rand Water
July 2010: Google, Facebook and YouTube – what do they tell Knowledge Managers about how people want to work, collaborate and learn?
- Pretoria Chapter
July 2005: Communities of Practice in an academic library: a run on the wild side?
October 2007: SABMiller case study
June 2008: …
February 2009: Communities in Practise – the Fluor way
March 2009: Cafe Conversation – Appreciative Inquiry with the theme Energising the image and relevance of Knowledge Management
April 2009: Knowledge Retention – how NASA is preserving the knowledge context for projects on hold
May 2009: Intelligence – it is a complex thing
October 2009: University of Pretoria Library Service’s Web 2.0 journey
- Cape Town Chapter
October 2007 (mini-workshop): Taxonomies and taxonomy
- Western Cape Chapter
- …in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Durban, Western Cape
Communities of Practice
- Knowledge Management Strategy CoP
- Information technology CoP
- Knowledge Management techniques and tools CoP
(with a discount for KMPG members)
- Knowledge Management Theory to Implementation Course
- Web 2.0 Practical Implementation
- Project Management for Knowledge Managers (delivered by Judi Sandrock and Peter Tobin, Gordon Institute of Business Science, University of Pretoria, South Africa)
- Web-Based Short Course in Knowledge Management (delivered by Judi Sandrock, in association with the Department of Information and Knowledge Management at the University of Johannesburg)
- Collaboration Trends, Understanding Web 2.0 and Content Management (delivered by Sandrock, Gotfredsen & Associates)
- 2008-11 Knowledge Café Masterclasses with David Gurteen in in Johannesburg, Pretoria and Cape Town (KMPG in cooperation with Symphonia Leadership Development)
- Knowledge Management in Utilities Summit, 13th to 16th October 2009 , Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
This event will showcase success stories, presented by knowledge managers in utility providers in Africa. This Summit is by invitation only to focus on successes and challenges in knowledge management.