The European Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (ECSCW) is a biennial series of international conferences on computer-supported cooperative work. The conference series is affiliated with the European Society for Socially Embedded Technologies (EUSSET).
As stated in the preface to the ECSCW 1991 proceedings, CSCW is committed to grounding technological development and systems design in an understanding of “the specifics of practical, situated action”. ECSCW remains committed to this program.
ECSCW has been instrumental in defining the agenda of CSCW research since the beginning, and it still is. It has been the key forum for identifying and exploring issues such as
* the situated nature of action and interaction and its implications;
* the role of ethnography in CSCW and in computing in general,
* the role and nature of ‘awareness’ in cooperative work;
* the role of paper-based and other material artifacts in cooperative work;
* highly flexible collaboration infrastructures and tailorable systems.
The ECSCW conferences are single-track conferences in order to facilitate critical discussion across the disciplinary and national subdivisions of the field.